Lobbying for motorbike parking

Traffic infrastructure is handled by two organisations in the ACT. The National Capital Authority (NCA) covers all the gazetted National Land which includes the Parliamentary Zone, Lake Burley Griffin and some foreshores, Anzac Parade and the diplomatic estates. A map showing the National Land areas is here. The ACT Department of Territory and Municipal Services (TAMS) handles the remainder of the ACT.

If you want to request additional motorbike parking or notify the organisations of a maintenance or safety issue this is how you contact them:

National Capital Authority

Contact details and a contact form for the NCA are here.

ACT Department of Territory and Municipal Services

Contact Canberra Connect on 13 22 81 (7am to 8pm Monday to Friday, 8am to 5pm Saturday and 9am to 5pm Sunday) or fill out the  online request form. You can attach documents and images and there is also a google map for pinpointing the site.

What to provide

If you are requesting new motorbike parking (either a whole new site or additional spaces) it is handy to provide the following information:

  • A document clearly outlining what you are requesting and why
  • Photographs of the current site and where additional parking could be added OR a potential site for new parking
  • A map of the site (you could use the Google map facility provided by TAMS or a clip)
  • A reference to this website may be helpful so they can see what other parking is available (or not as the case may be)
  • Your contact details.

From my experience a bit of extra effort and preparation can mean that under-resourced staff (and they almost invariably are) can respond more rapidly to your request. Finally, as one staff member recommended when I was talking with them about this, ‘Ask, don’t rant.’